This blog will highlight Baylor students participating in 8-10 week summer internships with established non-profit organizations and civic groups. Students are chosen for their commitment to create systemic social change and for their ability to connect their placement to their discipline of study. These are the future movers and shakers of the non profit and for profit world. Join the dialogue.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Marissa Moschetta, July 4


This past week has been an absolute blessing to me and has really helped my morale. “Relator” is my number three strength (Sic ‘em StrengthsFinder!), and I was able to truly exercise it this week. Thursday was the Open House for the BGACDC’s Freedom School/Summer Day Camp at both the Marvell and Elaine campus. BGACDC’s summer program focuses on increasing literacy by running Children’s Defense Fund Freedom School  , along with providing nutritional and physical education through programs like SPARK. It was a blast being able to hang out with the kids, watch their skits, meet new people, and speak with different guests about the Shepherd program.  It was a joy to get to spend my day with one of the founders of the BGACDC, Ms. Gertrude Jackson. She is in incredible shape for being 87 years old, and is still full of passion and commitment. One the way back from visiting the Elaine site’s open house, we stopped by a housing rehabilitation project site to check on its progress. It was a joy to meet Mrs. Dawkins and her family, and see the progress being made on her new house. Friday was another day full of being relational since I went on a field trip with the kids to a water center in Tunica, MS. I have always considered children a passion of mine, so it was an absolute blast finally being able to invest in them. I have not necessarily learned anything new about myself, but I have definitely confirmed that I am called to have a highly relational career. That’s not to say that my career will not have its fare share of paperwork, but my constant yearning for meaningful interaction has shown me that my “relator” strength is even more prominent than I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment