This blog will highlight Baylor students participating in 8-10 week summer internships with established non-profit organizations and civic groups. Students are chosen for their commitment to create systemic social change and for their ability to connect their placement to their discipline of study. These are the future movers and shakers of the non profit and for profit world. Join the dialogue.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Marissa Moschetta, July 12


This past week has definitely held some of my favorite memories so far this summer. One of my summer responsibilities has been to interview notable people in the Marvell community and write articles about them for a collection of works I entitled “The Heart of Marvell”. It has been difficult to get anything done for this project because people haven’t gotten back to us, but then my supervisor suggested I interview one of the founders of the BGACDC, Ms. Gertrude Jackson.  She is by far the coolest 87 year old woman I know! I spent the afternoon at her house looking at old pictures and listening to stories about her family, the community, and her grassroots civil rights advocacy. She has gone through some serious discrimination, and it was beautiful and humbling to learn from her deep faith and constant altruism towards all people. I could have spent all day listening to her stories and getting to know her sweet spirit. I am excited to write the article, although a little overwhelmed since there is so much meaningful information to narrow down to a page or two! 

No comments:

Post a Comment