This blog will highlight Baylor students participating in 8-10 week summer internships with established non-profit organizations and civic groups. Students are chosen for their commitment to create systemic social change and for their ability to connect their placement to their discipline of study. These are the future movers and shakers of the non profit and for profit world. Join the dialogue.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Dalychia Saah, June 20, 2011


My internship for this summer is with Raven + Lily. R+L is a fashion accessory brand that works with HIV- positive women in Ethiopia, and poverty stricken women in India to combine their sewing skills and their countries’ natural resources with Western designs. For example, one of my favorite R+L pieces is a necklace reconstructed from melted bullet shell casings in Ethiopia. The goal of this brand is to empower women by providing sustainable economic opportunities. R+L is a brand changing lives for women in desperate situations and allowing westerners to be socially conscious consumers, and yet still very fashionable.  I am their design intern for this summer.

A couple of days before I started my internship, R+L made a major shift- it went from being a non-profit organization to a socially responsible for-profit brand. It was definitely fun to come into the company during this shift. Everyone I work with is extremely optimistic, because these changes only mean growth for R+L and a chance to offer our international artisans more economic opportunities. I must say that with all the changes being made daily, my job description hasn’t really been the most predictable schedule. Some days I am in the office all day compiling forms and documents, and then there are days like Thursday where I had to conduct a photo shoot and photograph some of R+L’s products to show to our wholesalers. My regular work day consists of the most random tasks and moments! It is such a different energy working with a start-up company compared to an established company. Unlike an established company where employees might have become jaded and stuck in a routine; at R+L everyone is so motivated and excited to be a part of the company that I can’t help but to be enthusiastic about all the odd ball tasks that we undertake, ie. painting our building next week. With the unpredictable moments combined with the positive vibe that I get from my co-workers I know this summer with R+L is going to be a very unique life experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment